Friday 15 March 2013

Thrown Down a Sexy Painting Study


Thrown down is just one of the sexy painting studies exploring a commission I reluctantly took on a few months ago and although i have written about this intended painting before ( click here to read ) I have struggled to grasp the subject matter as it is so alien to my personality.

Thrown Down
Mixed-media, acrylic, oil pastel, charcoal 
and graphite 60 x 50 cm's, unframed
Normally I don't do commissions, yet this one offered the freedom to paint what I wanted without a time frame, all I was asked to do was paint a sexy group of male and female nudes.

The Other paintings done as studies for this commission like girl with pearls, Five figures (view this painting on website) and the 'A Painting in progress' that I'm currently working on have all helped develop a different atmosphere in each painting which is cool.

The problem was not so much the subject just the style of painting that could capture the energy and violence that such a subject required. Normally I might have headed towards softly blended colours that create a harmony of tone and contrasts. 

However after chatting with her I realised that although detail is of no value the implied passion and violence of the moment was vital to the overall effect she was looking for.

Thrown down is an almost violent and powerful painting with sex at its core. The hard dark lines outline the physical process of the figure being cast down, within the painting several outlines can be made out of the twisting form as she is thrown to the floor....

The patches of bright colour add to the power of the image and even the face has sublime and resigned expression of acceptance that is frighteningly passive and real that makes the whole painting both sexy, horrifying and beautiful fascinating.

As an individual I'm both repulsed and delighted with this sexy painting study that has taken me to areas of my consciousness that I have never really explored before the result has been a liberating artistic voyage of discovery and freedom.  

For more Modern or abstract paintings by the artist visit www.mjo-art.com for a unique collection of fantastic and diverse paintings as well as lots of articles and much more besides.

Thank you for contributing to this community I deeply appreciate your valuable time as I realise that all comments allow us to learn from our mistakes and build on our successes

No comments: